Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Quilt update No. 3

Moving quite quickly on this gem of a quilt!! First let me just say that this has been very quick and not exactly the most interesting quilt. I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to my work, I love working on quilts that are challenging and intricate -- this one does not fall into that category.

I like it for its practical purpose but it is not a beauty!!!!

I was thinking about Christmases from my childhood and I realized that some of the little knick knacks that I remember as a child were just that, little knick knacks that were probably purchased at the five and dime yet they were so special and when you see them now you grow all sentimental because they remind you of your childhood and the excitement of Christmas. I have spent years collecting beautiful and expensive tree ornaments, yet it is the old beat up ones that I love the most. Although this quilt was not very difficult and lacks visual appeal, I can guarantee you that in 40 years time my children will be fighting over who inherits it LOL!!!!!

Today I am going to finish up the back, most of it was done last night, and then add some borders. Hopefully tomorrow I can put the layers together and pin it. This will most certainly be done by Christmas. I figured out the final cost of this quilt will be around $60 or less since I won't be using all of the 3 yards of fabric for the borders. And I am happy to report that there was little to no scraps left over, the entire Jelly roll and Layer cake were used. Waste not, Want not.....!!!!

Oh and before I forget, my DD was out in the field visiting Baby and her twins several times yesterday afternoon!!!! She is over the moon, I hope she doesn't get to attached to them. Knowing her she will convince FarmerBoy to change out the Rams and keep Baby's little ones for breeding as well. Before you know it we will have a pet farm!!!!!

Bye and keep smiling!!!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Laura T said...

What a fun quilt. I love Mary E also!! I loved the slide show below of the surrounding country. My DH and I were in Ireland back in 1998 and loved it. I want to visit again as we had such a wonderful time and it's beautiful country. I'm sure your idea will work wonderfully - lovely home and website. We stayed in many B&B's and I can tell yours would be a wonderful B&B to stay at!
Have a Merry Christmas!!
Laura from Washington

Micki said...

It's a lovely quilt! I will have to get back to quilting, etc once I settle into our home and all is organized. You have made me realize how much I miss doing my hobbies after seeing your beautiful quilt.
Have a wonderful holiday!
Micki

Rhonda said...

I love this quilt. The colors your chose to go with the panel. I think it's a great work of art!