Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Christmas!

I came across this on Jan's blog and thought it would be a fun post to do before Christmas. FarmerBoy and I discussed some of these questions and the children started asking us about what Christmas was like when we were children. My husband's answers were very different from mine especially since we grew up in two different cultures in different countries.

Wishing all of you and your families a very Merry Christmas from all of us here on the Farm!!


Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate, haven’t had egg nog in years in fact if I did want some I would have to make it myself. No egg nog in the dairy section here in Ireland!

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? Well this is a tricky one!! Sometimes Santa wraps and sometimes he doesn’t!!! Depends on the gift!!!

Colored lights on tree or white? I love white lights but have been overruled by FarmerBoy and the children who all prefer colored lights. I have garland swags over the fireplace and those have white lights!!

When do you put your decorations up? December 8 is the big day in this house and they come down on January 6!!

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I love stuffing and cranberries, it was a tie between the two.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? In third or fourth grade, the girl who lived across the street from us told me and when I disagreed with her she confirmed it with her mother while I was standing there. I never forgot that.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Most definitely Christmas morning, even if we are awakened at 5:00 am!!!!

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I have ornaments that I have been collecting for 20 years and there are a few that were given to me by my mother that have been in the family for many years. I have a nice collection of handblown glass ornaments as well as ornaments collected from my travels.

Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love snow but we don’t get any in Ireland, or at least where we live in Ireland. I grew up ice skating on frozen ponds and downhill skiing, I miss the white stuff!!!!

Can you ice skate? Yes indeed I can, I taught my own children last year!!!

Do you remember your favorite gift? A Barbie Town house with an elevator. God I loved that house and played with it for hours!!

What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Family and time spent together.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Pecan Pie with whipped cream, real whipped cream!

What is your favorite tradition? Baking Christmas cookies which we did on Sunday. Also having a really nice dinner on Christmas Eve and then we go to the 7:30 Mass at a little church in our parish that is out in the middle of nowhere. We usually do alot of hillwalking during Christmas and it is becoming more and more of a tradition.

Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving? Now honestly, what self respecting adult would say receiving LOL!!!! Giving of course, Christmas is all about children. When we lived in the United States we bought more gifts for the Toys for Tots Campaign and families that were on the Giving Tree at our church and office but they don't do that here -- I really miss that type of community spirit.

What is your favorite Christmas Song? Silent Night. There are sooo many, Silent Night was the first song that entered my mind when I read this question.

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I used to love candy canes but they don’t have them over here or at least where I shop they don’t carry them. I like them but have learned to live without as usual!

Ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes, several years ago we received an over abundance of Christmas tins of chocolates and when people would stop by we simply gave them the tin that was left by the previous guest!!!! It was embarrassing to have people show up and they would give you a bottle of wine or chocolates -- so I was forced to improvise!!!

No comments: